Friday, December 17, 2010

Sparkling

I have a bottle of Sparkling Pomegranate from IZZE that I picked up a bunch of days ago at Target (gag). I let it get warm, so I stuck it in the fridge overnight. And then I couldn't open it. It's been on my desk for five days now, unopened and laughing at me. It has this teeny tiny metal cap that you're supposed to twist off. And, of course, the stupid thing is a lightly carbonated beverage. This means that it'll esssplode. It says so on the bottle. "Warning! Contents under pressure. Bottle may burst or cap may blow off causing eye or other serious injury. Point away from face and people, especially while opening." This has to mean something.

There has to be some ridiculous metaphor for life hidden away in my Sparkling Pomegranate. Are we all just powerless before god and bottlecaps? Does the sweetness of filtered carbonated water, cane sugar (medium invert), and vegetable juice (for color) lend itself to a sort of delicious analogy of how one must be careful and cherish the sweet things we receive as gifts from fate/god/whatever through our lives? Perhaps it means that we should take care to anticipate and enjoy the endeavours as well as the rewards for our labor.

As an allegory of life, what sorts of wisdom could I glean from my experience? Perhaps the sparkling pomegranate symbolizes the unattainable goals I set for myself. You know, overreaching my limits with the need to perfectionistically overachieve so that I sabotage my ability to succeed with inevitable can't-open-the-bottle failure. I want what I can't have, and I keep that thing I can't have where I am always aware of it on some level so that I'm constantly reminded of how I fell short.

Of course, it probably just means that I'm just a freaking loser who can't open a stupid bottle of Sparkling Pomegranate Juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment